Sunday 15 September 2013

Some Marburgian Observations.

So this week, I thought I would share with you all...

Some cultural differences in Marburg which you would not find in Southampton or anywhere else in the UK.

First of all:

TRAFFIC LIGHTS.
Now in Germany, it is a fine-able offence to cross the road when the little red man is showing. Bit extreme right? But no, they are all about the green cross code over here, especially in Marburg because of the abundance of blind students here (Marburg is home to a really good school for the blind). The Germans themselves are really hot on road safety as well (despite not having a speed limit on the motorway) and it was only when I spoke to a German friend about it I realised how much we as Britons "dance with death" every time we cross the road. 

My nearest bus stop is situated on the german equivalent of an A road, meaning it's pretty much busy and fast moving traffic all day long. However to get to the bus stop, I, myself, have to risk my life. Dramatic, huh? But these are the death defying stunts I must go through each day just to get to my lectures. Anyways, I told my friend about what I was doing and she looked at me as if I had just slapped her or something. "WASSS?" she said "Aber Amy, das ist sooo gefaehrlich!" (That's so dangerous!). Yeah I know it's dangerous but what am I supposed to do? 

It was only later on in the day, that I found out there was a very safe looking subway that runs from my halls to the bus stop, avoiding this so-called "death trap" of a road. Super.

TIPS.
So since being here I haven't given out one single tip to a waiter/tress. And I kinda don't feel bad. Is that bad? But it's just not the done thing here. When you pay for something, the waiter/tress ask you whether you want to pay "zusammen oder getrennt?" (together or seperately). Being students we all want to pay separately and make sure that we aren't unnecessarily paying more than we have to and for this reason "getrennt" is my new favourite way to pay. But then how do you pay a tip? Leave some change left over? I suppose we could tip if we wanted too but the waiters/tresses don't give you daggers if you forget...

TRANSPORT.
Here in Marburg, for me, IS FREE. Trains, buses, trams, underground, all of it for free, because I am a student! Praise the Lord! 

I really think this is an idea England should adopt. It is nationally recognised that students are not rolling in it, and so why should we have to pay every day to get a 25 minute bus to lectures, when we are already paying astronomical amounts in tuition fees compared to the rest of Europe? We shouldn't. And so in Germany, we don't and it's so satisfying. 

However, I have got so used to travelling without spare change in my purse that when I got in a taxi last night, I didn't actually have enough money to pay for it. Embarrassing. And made worse by the fact I was sobering up from being at a Wine Festival all day, where copious amounts of fine wine was consumed. 

CANTEEN.
The "Mensa" (canteen) here at Marburg Uni is wunderbar. A main meal costs 1,95 euros or about £1.60 and for that you get a big plate of either salad or schnitzel or Currywurst + chips or some other german delicacy AND a side. A drink is extra but to be honest, it's still great value for money. 

    On a side note: the standard of living for a student in Germany is much cheaper than in the UK. I can live off about 50 euros a week here or £42. That's what I call a BAR-GAIN.

THE PURCHASING/CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL.
First difference I noticed since being in Germany and probably one of the most important/beneficial for students in Marburg is the cheap booze. Seriously, a bottle of Licher (the local beer) is 2 euros and it's 5%. The cheapest (and actually drinkable) bottle of vodka (don't worry I can pronounce the name so it's good to drink) at the supermarket is equivalent to a fiver in the UK. WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT? 

I know. To be able to drink on the streets? Well you can do that here too! Yep, public drinking is A-OKAY in Germany. Can't wait to get home to drink? Well have no fear! Although you might not want to make a habit of this in case people actually start to think you are an alcoholic.

So far those have been the main things I have noticed since moving to Germany.

I am going to try and post more than once a week however things have been absolutely crazy this past fortnight. What have I done this week? In five words? FRANKFURT. AUFLAUF. KASSEL. WINE FESTIVAL.


So bis später!
XXX

2 comments: